Harry Hallman Dies
Harry Hallman, the former mayor of Mt. Pleasant, passed away Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011.
Mr. Hallman was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2008 and resigned as mayor because of it.
My husband, Boyd, and I have know Harry and his wife, Brooke, for many years -- As a matter of fact, Brooke and I used to play tennis together.
Not only was Harry Hallman a great leader and motivator, he was simply a great man -- a true southern gentleman -- a person who considered everyone to be important, whether he agreed with him/her or not.
Harry Hallman was first elected mayor in 2000 and served until his resignation in 2008. He was instrumental in so many things that improved the quality of life in Mt. Pleasant, SC.
My or my, how Harry loved his town of Mt Pleasant, SC. Here are a few of the things that he accomplished for his town:
1) helped to revitialize Coleman Blvd.
2) helped to revitalize Johnnie Dodds Blvd.
3) pushed for the Mt Pleasant Waterfront Park
4) was the catalyst for the Congressional Medal of Honor Museum on the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point.
5) oversaw projects to relieve traffic congestion such as the expansion of Hungryneck Boulevard
6) served as chairman of the Police, Legal & Judicial Committee
7) served as chairman the Transportation Committee of Council
8) he also served on the Water Supply Committee
9) served as ex-officio member for the Mount Pleasant Waterworks Commission, the Patriots Points Development Authority
Everyone in Mt Pleasant was so pleased when a marker for Harry was erected to show the world how he had dedicated his life -- the market was erected on the Harry M. Hallman, Jr. Blvd. in Mt Pleasant, SC
Congratulations, Harry on a job well done -- a life spent well -- May you rest in peace.
Share this Post:
Comments have been closed for this post.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.